Ed Herbst writes: ‘Soft hackles are one of the most underrated patterns in the Cape and for the life of me I can’t think why. On the day they can be unbeatable.’
That’s the word from Cape Piscatorial Society committee member Matt Rich who has represented his country at both junior and senior levels.
Piscator has reflected the enduring fascination of this ancient and always-deadly pattern in several articles which are listed below.
The internet provides a wealth of information on Soft Hackles both in historical terms and on video clip on how to tie them.
- WC Stewart and the Soft Hackled Spider - Gordon McKay
- Tying the soft hackle spider - Ed Herbst
- The March Brown Spider - Peter Smith
- Fishing soft hackle flies - Sean Mills
- Small Stream Soft Hackle - Ed Herbst
- Return of Tenkara - Bernard WT Coetzee
- The Karoo Soft Hackle Midge - Alan Hobson (This article was first posted on the Federation of South African Flyfishers (FOSAF) website and is published here with permission)