Ed Herbst writes: The Cape Piscatorial Society traces its origins to 1902 when the Western Districts Game Protection Association amended its title to include "Trout". The Western Districts Game and Trout Protection Association represented angling interests in the Western Cape until 1931, when it was reconstituted as the Cape Piscatorial Society.
As indicated in the article on the history of the Society on this website, the late AC Harrison, the founder of the CPS in its present form, published the first issue of Piscator in March 1947 and it became a valuable repository of articles tracking the evolution of fly fishing in this country.
This folder will seek to make the best of those articles part of a permanent internet record which is accessible to anyone with a computer.
A C Harrison forwarded letters and articles which he considered historically relevant to what was then the J L B Smith Institute of Ichthyology at Rhodes University in Grahamstown and those papers have been retained as archival records in the library of what is now the Department of Ichthyology and Fisheries Science at the university.
- Smalblaar newcomer – 1962 – Mark MacKereth
- Smalblaar newcomer – 2010 – Matt Zilliox
- HTA – 100 years young – Giordano Zamparini
- Mark MacKereth – Flyfisher supreme – Pieter Cronje
- Remembering Mark Mackereth - Geoff Godley
- A Fly Fishing Life - Harry Stewart
- One Hundred Years of Trout in Natal - DJ Alletson
- The historical Jonkershoek hatchery - Ryan Weaver
- An Historical Review of Freshwater Fish Hatcheries in Natal - T Pike
- Angling in the Maclear District 1928-32 - Douglas Hey
- Arthur Cecil Harrison - Frank R Bradlow
- Editorial - The Foundation of the CPS in Nov 1931
- Indigenous South African Flies-A Chronology - Ed Herbst
- Introduction of Trout to the Western Cape & the origins of the CPS - John Ness
- Mr AC Harrison - A tribute - Dr Douglas Hey
- Review - The Rapture of the River - SA Hey & AA Balkema
- The First Use of Artificial Flies in SA - Frank R Bradlow
- The Foundation of the CPS in Nov 1931
- Trout in South Africa - newspaper cutting book of W Wardlaw Thompson
- Trout stocking controversy - Nicholas PE James
- Trout stocking controversy part 1 - Dean Impson
- Trout stocking controversy part 2 - Nicholas PE James
- A Wickhams on the Smalblaar - A Mark Mackereth
- Honour conferred on AC Harrison - Alan Yates
- My introduction to trout culture in South Africa - FG Chaplin
- The Olifants / Doorn River System and Its Fishes - AC Harrison
- Trout in peat-stained waters of the Southern Cape